The Skyranger Swift, and now the Swift2 are developments from the best selling Skyranger.
The Swift introduced a higher level of finish and options and also introduced a smaller wing span than the Skyranger this enabled higher cruise speeds and a more comfortable ride in turbulence thanks to the increased wing loading.
With a combination of shorter wingspan, and greater torsional strength, the smaller ailerons result in reduced roll loads and increased roll rate, especially noticeable at high cruise speeds over 100mph.
Takeoff performance is still in the STOL category, and with the 100 hp 912ULS a max weight takeoff roll on grass is less than 65metres, and a spirited 1200fpm climb, rate rising to over 1500fpm solo. Stalling speed remains a comfortably low 34knots at Max Microlight takeoff weight of 472.5Kg,meaning short field landings are still a breeze. Powerful control response right down to stall speed, makes for easy control, and superb crosswind capability.
For those that want ultimate STOL the long wing is also available on request.
The Swift2 introduced a lot of detail commonality with the Nynja this includes:
- New vertical tail – deleting the ventral fin and replacing it with taller fixed fin and reshaped rudder – cleaner looks, less weight and enhanced directional stability
- Main undercarriage clean up with internal drag links
- Redesigned door pillars that sweep forwards at the bottom to give larger lower doors which enable easier access and improved visibility
- Redesigned door tops / wing interface, resulting in better (no draft!) sealing and wing root closure panel for a better more finished look.
- Binnacle style instrument panel – lighter and more instrument space than original
- Centre console as standard equipment
- Redesigned throttle system with more progressive operation and quick adjustable idle stops
- New stainless steel exhaust system – more compact and lighter than previous version
- Redesigned fuel system – rationalising hose runs and using Aluminium fuel tubing for part of the run to save weight and simplify maintenance. Also option of external fuel filler with lockable cap
- A expanded range of retrofittable optional extras including a ‘light pack’saving some 3.5Kg using some Nynja Steel parts which are lighter and stronger, and a higher tech lighter battery.
The Swift2 also has a restyled front cowling to differentiate from earlier models.
The result is around 6.5Kg weight saving over the Swift1, better looks, better visibility, more refined cockpit environment and enhanced performance.
The Swift2 currently boasts the greatest payload capability of any UK Fixedwing Microlight using a Rotax 900 series engine. This means greater range and capability whilst staying below the Microlight maximum takeoff weight limits.
The Swift2 is offered with Rotax 912 series as the standard fit, either the 80 hp 912UL of the 100 hp 912ULS, and composite Keivprop propeller, renowned for smoothness, low noise and efficiency.
The Swift 2 is supplied as a pre fabricated fast build kit. All necessary components are supplied, down to the small details, with all structural parts finished, and connecting brackets pre-assembled. No special skills or processes are required. Glassfibre components are supplied finished in white and require no painting. Building is simple assembly work, guided by a comprehensive step by step Build Manual.
In the UK the build is overseen by the BMAA, who will appoint a local inspector, who will inspect your work at key stages and offer advice.
Flylight Airsports provide a full time expert build advice service and keep in stock a large parts inventory should the need arise. We also offer in the UK an expert test flying service, so you can be assured your finished aircraft flies perfectly.